DO YOU WANT TO...
Start singing, playing piano, playing guitar, or writing songs?
Pick up music lessons again that you took as a child or in college or start from scratch?
Be supported as you open yourself up and express your true, authentic self?
Give yourself a special place to honor your musician within?
Get past feeling that you're too old or it's too late?
Feel freer and more creative than ever before?
Access and trust your intuitive self?
Polish your performances?
Write and record your own songs?
Build confidence in public speaking?
Transform your life from black and white to color?
START but feel like you don't even know where to begin?!
YOU'RE NOT ALONE. I'VE BEEN THERE.
Hi! I'm Mary Alouette, also known as my artist name, Alarke.
I've headlined renowned stages and I've also had to be vulnerable and face rejection countless times. Regardless, I've continued to stay true to myself as a musician, develop my passions, and live a rich and inspired life.
I turned what was once a dream into my life, and so can you! I've created my own artist residency in Cuba, I've studied Gypsy jazz music with the masters in a French Romani Gypsy caravan, I've sung opera in castles in the Italian Alps, I've released albums of my original pop music in New York City's hottest clubs, and I've continuously helped others develop their musical passions and create inspiring lives.
Make it happen! Here's how...
I STARTED JUST BY SHOWING UP.
I learned to open myself up and commit to the teachings of my musical mentors. I learned to stay disciplined, stretch myself towards new opportunities, and confidently put myself out there, even when I felt incredibly vulnerable.
Once you shift through fear and self-doubt and implement a proven approach to developing yourself as a musician, you'll finally be able to enjoy the creativity and freedom you've always dreamed of.
I grew up performing pop, musical theater, and opera professionally since the age of 7. I then trained classically at the Schulich School of Music at McGill University in Canada, the American Institute of Musical Studies in Austria, and the Schlern International Music Festival in Italy. I continued my training by working with New York City's best vocal teachers and applying what I've learned in my performances at the Kennedy Center, the Rainbow Room at 30 Rockefeller Plaza, the Music Center at Strathmore, Blues Alley, and more.
In my 24 years of experience, I've studied and taught both classical bel canto technique and non-classical speech-singing technique. My specialty is to work with singers in non-classical styles: pop, R&B, soul, jazz, musical theater, folk, etc. I have studied vocal pedagogy and can communicate how to get the sound you want in a relatable way, which is so crucial because we cannot see our voice as we're learning to sing, and we must create visuals and muscle memory to master our instrument.
My understanding is first hand. When I graduated from McGill University, I was started working immediately, but not as a classical singer – as a Gypsy jazz singer and guitarist. Having grown up using my mixed voice and supported belting voice in musical theater and pop, I felt somewhat at home in the style. I just had this big voice and wasn't sure how to transition from my recent classical training as an opera singer back to jazz and pop. My adventure was to learn how to develop a healthy and stylistic pop sound and technique that I could depend on for the rest of my life. The tools that I teach allow my students to sing confidently in competitions, recording sessions, important performances, and for their own personal enjoyment.
I studied piano as a young child and learned to play pop songs and the music of classical masters: Chopin, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Debussy, Liszt, etc. My greatest passion is writing and performing my own original songs on piano. I continued my studies at the Schulich School of Music at McGill University. Most recently, I studied piano intensively in Cuba with one of Havana's leading pianists, Odalys Villavicencio Valls.
Although I taught myself guitar initially, I developed my skills on the job in New York City's jazz and pop scene. I've also studied privately with master guitarists who win Grammys and perform live at the Oscars and at Carnegie Hall. I've participated in guitar workshops and retreats and I've studied with guitar masters while staying in a Gypsy caravan at a major world festival for jazz guitar, the Festival of Django Reinhardt in France.
SONGWRITING & MUSIC PRODUCTION
As digital composition student at McGill University and an audio engineer apprentice at Ishlab Studio in New York City, I learned how to operate digital audio workstations (Logic, Ableton, Pro Tools, Reason, and Reaper) and how to record and produce music.
My songs have won awards and I've since taught songwriting workshops online and in-person with the Brooklyn Arts Council, Washington Performing Arts, Strathmore Artist-in-Residence program, and the Bethesda Writer's Center.
MINDSET COACHING FOR MUSICIANS
As a performing and teaching artist, I feel it is my responsibility to guide students in building their confidence as musicians, whether onstage, in the studio, or at home. We use strategies to overcome fears and creative blocks and step into a growth- and passion-filled life.
PLAY MORE, CREATE MORE, LIVE MORE
You can bring music to the next level in your life, whether as a professional, hobbyist, or someone just starting out. I want you to have the confidence, passion, and joy I've gained. You only get to live once. Stay true to yourself and realize your musical potential. You can accomplish so much in a very short time!
THAT'S WHERE I COME IN!
I love music and teaching others – the human voice, creating songs and playing instruments, and the entire artistic process. I can help you get to where you want to be. You don't have to stay hesitant, lost, overwhelmed, or stuck any longer.
THE PROGRAM INCLUDES
- A complimentary 30 minute call to ensure that I'm the teacher for you!
- Twelve 55-minute private sessions over the course of 3 months so that you'll have time to go deep, implement the training, and get all of your questions answered
- Recordings of all our sessions so that you can review the exercises and the teachings forever
- Unlimited email access for those days you need extra support
- My Welcome Pack created to help you gain clarity on what you want to accomplish (so that our time together is laser-focused on getting you the results you want!)
- Custom assignments to keep you on track between sessions so that you never have to wonder what to work on or where to start
- Access to workbooks, reading lists, resources and tools that I've used in my own musical development
- And so much more!
Alarke's primary New York City studio is located in midtown Manhattan or in your Manhattan home or office. Sessions are also available via Skype.
Your one-on-one experience will be unique and personalized, but these are some of the topics we may cover.
- Develop your voice with breathing fundamentals, posture, tone production, articulation, and delivery
- Increase your range, stamina, and overall vocal facility
- Find your unique style, express yourself, connect with and emotionally move your audience
- Anchor in a solid speech singing and/or bel canto vocal technique that you can rely upon
- Sing pop, R&B, soul, jazz, musical theater, and opera repertoire
- Learn to sing in French, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Italian, Russian, and other languages
- Build your confidence for public speaking
- Establish and develop critical elements of your piano technique, including controlling the arm, strengthening finger independence, and mastering muscle tension and its release
- Get a firm grasp on music theory
- Read and write music, anywhere from piano sheet music to orchestral scores
- Train your ears and your sight-reading so that you "hear" with your eyes and "see" with your ears
- Play pop, jazz, and classical repertoire of our choosing
- Learn common chord voicings, inversions, and techniques
- Master rhythmic strumming and muting techniques; choppy, percussive single-note lines; how to use fills in your riffs; tips for applying dynamics and even some blues-based 12-bar ideas
- Stylize your solos by learning the CAGED chord shapes for major, minor, diminished, major 7th, minor 7th, dominant 7th & minor 7 flat 5 arpeggios, allowing you to solo freely all over the neck
- Create and draw upon your personal library of guitar licks
- Learn groove-based vamping ideas and develop other crucial skills, such as leaving space and locking in with your bass player and drummer
- Write memorable melodies and hooks
- Arrange, exercise lyrical ideas, and organize and plan ideas
- Learn the structures behind the hits
- Creative effective song arrangements that connect, contrast, and flow together in a unified whole
- Use song structures to enhance the emotional intent of your lyrics
- Generate emotionally expressive rhythmic ideas for your lyrics
- Discover your unique sound and writing style
- Write even when you're not inspired
- Advanced musical technique and performance coaching for professional musicians or those who are starting a musical career
- Intensive guidance in preparing for performances, auditions, and competitions
- The successful musician's mindset coaching and goal-setting
- Build healthy habits and structured practice methods to ensure your progress
- Build a strong foundation in electronic music instruments, including midi controllers, vocal effects instruments, and software programs including Ableton Live and Logic
- Learn foundational recording and mixing techniques, including EQ, compression, delay, panning, level balancing, reverb and special effects
WHY WORK WITH ME?
I have 24 years of professional performing experience and 11 years of teaching experience. I've performed at the Apollo Theater's National Tour, The Rainbow Room at 30 Rockefeller Plaza, The Kennedy Center, Blues Alley, the Music Center at Strathmore, the National Anthem for the Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals baseball teams and DC United soccer team dozens of times, had a lead role in EA Games' Wii video game Boogie Superstar, worked with Maestro Placido Domingo, sang with the New York Philharmonic at Carnegie Hall, performed in countless professional musical theater productions, and worked as an audio engineer in a New York City music studio that produces platinum artists. I've studied and performed opera in the U.S.A., Canada, Austria, and Italy. I've won songwriting awards, artist residencies, and music grants. I've taught songwriting workshops to adults, kids, and senior citizens; they've ranged from first-time songwriters to experienced professionals. One of my favorite memories was staying in a Gypsy caravan in France and studying and performing Gypsy jazz with some of the world's finest. I've released four albums of my original music and featured on others' recordings.
I've taken unforgettable risks, and they've always paid off. I chased an opportunity one summer to work on a vineyard and live in the historic Château de Paraza in the south of France. I followed my dream of being a singer in New York City and moved here knowing one person. I persevered after seven dodged interviews and landed the audio internship of my dreams, where I got to produce other artists during the day while studying audio engineering by night. In that internship, I also got to sit in on sessions with platinum artists who are now household names. I stayed in a French Gypsy caravan at Samois sur Seine and sang and played Gypsy jazz music with the greats from sun-up to sun-up. I created month-long artist retreat in Havana, Cuba to study & compose music, paint, write, and record my fifth album.
I've been trained by the best! I've invested in my own private coaching for music and business. My mentors are Kirk Imamura, President of Avatar Studios; Gina Devee of the Divine Living Academy; Beth Harper of Seriously Successful Entrepreneurs; and Emily Williams of I Heart My Life; GRAMMY-Award winning mentors Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer the Music Center at Strathmore's Artist in Residence Program. I've studied with a slew of music teachers and coaches including Blue Note singer Jeremiah Abiah and got my Bachelors of Music in vocal performance with a special studies in digital composition at the Schulich School of Music at McGill University in Montreal, Canada.
When you follow your heart, it might lead you to a Gypsy caravan in France...
MEET MY INCREDIBLE CLIENTS
- have won the Amateur Night at the Apollo Theater: Making a Star
- are professional songwriters signed with Sony BMG Entertainment
- have garnered 70K plays on Soundcloud in two days after a release
- were accepted into the Conservatory of Music at Brooklyn College
- have written and performed music at their weddings - after taking a fifteen-year break from music and without having had prior voice lessons
- have gained confidence through undertaking musical study and been offered their dream jobs
- have written original musical theater pieces
- have started with ZERO music experience and are now preparing to sing in New York City jazz clubs
- are building confidence with their public speaking skills for professional presentations
"I recommend Mary without qualification to anyone from the casual singer/strummer to the advanced musician or studio geek who wants to up their game to the next level. I came to Mary as a multi-instrumentalist and songwriter who wanted help with singing/vocals. A few things were apparent from the beginning: she is a creative, patient, yet demanding teacher with a razor-sharp ear and an endless bag of similes, metaphors, and visual and mental techniques to get across the point she's trying to explain (which is all aimed at coaxing the best out of you in each lesson). I've had many music teachers over the years, and it is rare to find one who combines vast knowledge of music theory and the fundamentals/techniques of their particular instrument with the ability to translate and teach all of this effectively. Mary is exactly this type of teacher. I also appreciate that her passion and enthusiasm for music and creativity practically oozes out of her pores, and in the year+ that we've been working together she's challenged me to not only improve my vocals but develop my songwriting skills using Logic." - Jon J.
"There is something about her ability to hear what I am doing, maybe to even hear merely what I intend, and boiling it down to workable and usable elements. She not only makes the most of where I am musically and with my busy schedule, she always finds a slice of exactly what I need, a piece of what's usefully available. In that way Mary just amazes with her gifts and talents and good nature. So if I don't thank and recognize her enough, let me do it now. Thanks!" - Johnny G.
"Mary takes the time to find out exactly what you want to work and/or develop on and builds a custom lesson plan that is never boring and always engaging. Her vast expertise and passion for music makes her the perfect instructor and her studio space makes for a great atmosphere with musical instruments readily available. She is always on time and very flexible when it comes to scheduling appointments. So if you are a beginner that’s just starting to sing, or an experienced musician looking to grow as a professional, Mary is the perfect guide." - Sar D.
INVEST IN YOURSELF!
OR - I ALREADY KNOW WHAT I WANT:
If you answered, "yes," "yes," and "yes" again, and if you're feeling more excited with each moment that passes, then click the "book your complimentary call" button to get started right away.
From the outside, it may look like I've been one of the "lucky" ones. The truth is that I've been told NO over and over and over again. I've faced rejection countless times. I simply decided to take a leap of faith and go after what I desired. I've found that things always have a way of working out and what's on the other side is exponentially more powerful and rewarding.
Once you shift through that fear and self-doubt and implement a proven approach to confidently show up for yourself by committing to the lessons you've been wanting to take for so long, your work and life will become fun and inspiring, and you'll finally be able to enjoy the freedom, passion, and creativity that you've always dreamed of living.
Or, you can choose to go back to life as usual.
You'll continue to struggle every day and watch your dreams pass you by.
You'll wonder why your efforts aren't creating results.
NOW is your moment to...
DREAM BIG. CHOOSE YOURSELF. CHOOSE YOUR PASSION IN YOUR LIFE. ACT COURAGEOUSLY. BEGIN.
To really doing this,
OR - I ALREADY KNOW WHAT I WANT:
QUESTIONS? GET IN TOUCH!
P.S. My 90-day program is designed for the musician within who is ready to take action on their desires and transform their musical life at a level where unparalleled freedom and creativity becomes the new normal. You'll experience a new sense of confidence and pride as you watch yourself grow in a meaningful way that ignites your soul and your spirit.